Friday, August 19, 2011

NOLA food adventures

I really should do something about my chronic procrastination... really. It's been a while since my trip to New Orleans, to the point where I look at some of the pictures and I forget exactly what I ordered. Remembering back to the trip, NOLA was a magical place, with music in the air, intricate architecture, and smells of something delicious tempting your taste buds. No wonder Walt Disney modeled his world after it.



Enough babble, food now!






First stop, breakfast. The hotel we stayed in was right next to Lafayette Square, a few blocks south of the French Quarter. The 1st and last mornings we were there we had breakfast at this lovely little cafe aptly named: Cafe on the Square, which overlooks Lafayette Square. The first day, we ordered a breakfast sandwich and an omlette, came with sides of grits, potatoes, and biscuit. All were very good! Not to mention the portions were significant. On the last day, we both ordered different egg Benedict, which I believe, they only have on the weekends. A shame really because they were amazing! Although the portions were still significant, we both finished it with no problem. A great way to conclude the trip.

What would a trip to NOLA be without beignets? Beignets beignets beignets. Say that 3 times fast. And man, were they AMAZING. Usually I'm not a sweets person, but these little fried dough things covered with fluffy powdered sugar were heaven! I'm pretty sure I had some every single day I was there, and I had cravings for them for weeks after my trip ended.

There are two places we went to for these beignets: Cafe Beignet and Cafe du Monde. Cafe du Monde is the larger and older establishment of two, and more famous. It's conveniently located next to Jackson Square and the French Market, which probably also helped with its rise to fame. What's the difference between the two, you may ask? Beignets are not created equal, as it turns out. The two cafes have their slightly different style in this little simple-looking concoction. Cafe du Monde's beignets were more crispy, and smothered in powered sugar, and I really mean smothered. Cafe Beignet, on the other hand, is lightly crispy on the outside and gooy-doughy on the inside. Both were good good good. Mmmmm what would I do for some beignets right now. Cafe du Monde sells only beignets and some coffee drinks, which were also really good, try the cafe au lait. Cafe Beignet also sells sandwiches, gumbo, and other food items in addition to their beignets, which is nice. Ok I think that's enough words in this paragraph. More pictures.

Cafe Beignet:







Cafe du Monde:




On the third day of our trip, we ventured outside of the French Quarter, took the St. Charles cable car and walked around the Garden District... which were mostly residential neighborhood with a few landmarks, and we mostly wandered around and house-watched. We found this interesting little brunch place that had local artist's painting all over the walls. The food were also good. I forgot what they were called exactly and what we really ordered, I just remember it was good....






Then there's also New Orleans School of Cooking, which is a cooking show/class where you get to eat the product at the end. The lady that taught the morning we were there was a nice little Cajun lady and told interesting stories and history of New Orleans.


Upside down mirror to reflect what's cooking on the stove for those sitting in the audience. Slightly disorienting but you get use to it.


Nom nom biscuits.


Biscuits with this syrup made from this special plant which I forgot what it was... but it was delicious.


Really good ice tea. Ice tea became my signature drink for the duration of this trip. I ordered it everywhere I went... LOL


Gumbo!!! Made fresh, like literally right there.


File... apparently a ground up herb of sorts. Still yet to figure out what it really is but it was delicious on some gumbo.


Jambalaya. Need I say more?


Bread pudding. NOLA style.


Pralines. Basically sugar with nuts in it.

On our 5th day, we basically decided to walk around the French Quarter, seek out delicious foods, and eat them all. We started with this place called Green Cafe or something? Tucked in the north east corner of the Quarter, away from the main tourist traffic. I sought out this place because of their fried green tomatoes...


... which were baller.


They also had the BEST gumbo we've had in this trip! No joke. Rich and full-bodied. It was a dark Cajun style gumbo with a rich dark roue.




We also ordered some stuffed bell-peppers, NOLA-fied of course, with a side of more fried green tomatoes. On how I miss the food in NOLA...

The only real disappointments of the trip were: French Market Cafe where we got some boiled crawfish


which were luke warm and not very flavorful, although it was cheap by comparison. You get what you paid for, I guess.

And Luke, owned by this rather famous chef (so famous I forgot his name)... but the food turned out to be disappointing.


Bread was probably the best part of the meal.


Our appetizer, which could really be a meal on it own. The kitchen seem to have initially forgotten it, and needed a couple prompting. It came out luke warm... maybe they made it and somehow lost it in there.



Our main entrees. If I remember correctly also luke warm. Maybe that's why it's named Luke? Everything (save the bread) was way to heavy, and over emphasized with meat. Can we say coronary heart disease? Seriously, can we get a meal with a little less oil and cholesterol? I mean, I know this is the south and all, but everywhere else we've been had a good grasp of balance.

Lastly, the highlights of the trip:

Mother's po-boys



This place is an institution in every sense of the word. There're no words to describe it save that you need to try this at least once in your life.






They had the best turnip greens. Really. We had to go back to Mother's a second time the night before we left NOLA (not pictured) and it was just as good. Mother's and beignets are the food that comes to mind when I think NOLA and it's the food that I crave the most from there even months after we left. I knew that after I went to Mother's I would go back to NOLA again someday... I need to make it happen.

Then the best for last: Emeril's


deserving of it's own separate post. Definitely priced for special occasion for po-boys & girls like us but worth returning if we were ever in the area again. 

That is it. Out beloved California may have the most variety in terms of food when you talk about Los Angeles and San Francisco, but NOLA, in my opinion, is among the top culinary experiences in the country. Think simple southern comfort meet complex exotic spices. The food of NOLA is as rich and complex as the place itself, a product of generations of mixing of the people from various backgrounds, all bringing to the table their own flavors and story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment