Friday, July 9, 2010

Tandoor-a-India


I love Indian food. If I were to ever become a vegetarian, I'd have to eat Indian food, not that all Indian food is vegetarian, they just have the best since they've been doing it the longest. A great Indian restaurant we visited while in LA is called Tandoor-A-India, located in Playa Del Rey. From the outside, it's not very striking, but once you go inside the door, the decor is breathtaking.



For three adults and a baby, we ordered 4 dishes, rice, and naan.


From back left to right: lamb saag, chicken tikka masala, chicken vindaloo; center: yellow rice.


The chicken tikka. I've never seen it presented like that, on a hot iron plate. It was sizzling when it arrived.


Our meal wouldn't be complete without some garlic naan, of course. Three half-pieces were already gone before I remembered to take the picture.

They looked and tasted wonderful! I must say, at first, I didn't expect much, but once the food arrived on our table, I knew I got myself something amazing. I took one bite and I was right. Indian food, for those who's had it, is rich and saturated with spices and flavor, it's like fireworks in your mouth, the way they blend together to form an unique and wonderful experience.

I typically don't like lamb, because of its distinct flavor, but at this place, they skillfully cooked the lamb so it's perfectly tender without any invasive smell or flavor. It's so perfectly paired with the saag, a spinach curry. The saag itself was like other saags I've had before, it's more savory, with lots of caramelized onions and spices. I would definitely order it again next time I go back. Another dish I really liked was the chicken tikka, served on a sizzling hot plate, drizzled with some lemon juice. It's like a really good bbq chicken, with good mellow flavor.

The portions were filling,the prices were decent, a little higher for hungry students, perhaps, but great for special occasions, or with a lot of friends to share the cost.

Address:
8406 Pershing Drive
Playa Del ReyCA 90293

No comments:

Post a Comment